Sara Berman Jensen
AlphaTech Counsel, S.C.
P.O. Box 259870
Madison, WI 53725
Telephone (608) 205-4703
Facsimile (888) 318-1050
Sara Berman Jensen is Vice President of AlphaTech Counsel, S.C. Sara has more than sixteen years of experience in business counseling, including structuring and negotiating on-going commercial arrangements, developing and managing contracting processes, providing employee training and managing external legal services. Sara worked for five years in the corporate and tax groups of a regional Midwestern law firm, before moving to an in-house position with a large biotechnology company, where she served as Deputy General Counsel.
Representative Experience and Current Focus with Entrepreneurs and Emerging Companies
- Technology Licenses: Negotiate and prepare broad array of technology in-licenses, out-licenses, sublicenses and technology development agreements
- Supply Agreements: Well-versed at addressing supply agreements from both the buyer and seller perspective, addressing forecasting, assurance of supply, price increases and exit strategies
- Distribution Issues: Negotiate networks of world-wide distribution agreements; address import and export compliance
- IT Contracts: Develop and review software licenses, end-user license agreements, development agreements and IT service contracts
- Corporate Growth: Counsel companies on corporate acquisitions and financing transactions
- Policy Development: Develop and implement record retention policies, codes of conduct and privacy policies (including compliance with the European Directive on Data Protection)
- Tax: Provide guidance on state, federal and international tax issues
- HR: Assist with general human resource risk management regarding employee hiring, promotion, discipline, accommodation and termination
Community Involvement and Professional Activities
- Board Member, North Dakota Ballet Company (2009 to Present)
- President, Board of Directors, Woods Hollow Children’s Center (1999 to 2009)
Publications and Presentations
- Contributing author, Wisconsin’s Attorney Desk Reference Book, “Buying and Selling a Business” and “Operating a Business,” published annually by the Wisconsin Bar Association.
- Contributing author, The Complete Guide to Wisconsin Sales and Use Taxes, produced and published annually by Michael, Best & Friedrich and Professional Education Systems, Inc.
- Presenter, seminar sponsored by University of Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin Tax School, “Tax Aspects of Operating a Small Business.”
- Presenter, seminar sponsored the University of Wisconsin Law School and the Center for World Affairs and the Global Economy, Global Financial Crisis: Implications for Wisconsin, “Practical Implications of the Global Financial Crisis on an In-House Legal Department.”
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (J.D., honors graduate)
- University of Utah (B.S., political science, honors graduate)